The first annual Locales Festival by Chef James, a one-day celebration of the Latin American Community and Miami’s diverse culture, debuts in South Florida at Bayside Marketplace in the heart of Downtown Miami on Sunday, April 2, 2017. Hosted by Chef James Tahhan and produced by Premier Tourist and Landmark Association, the festival will also celebrate Bayside Marketplace’s 30th birthday and shine the spotlight on community accomplishment through the Miami Bayside Foundation (MBF). The family-centric event will also highlight numerous aspects of the Latin American culture such as the arts including live music performances and film competitions; sports including interactive activities; and the vibrant culinary scene with celebrity chefs from Miami’s top restaurants.
“Our goal is to produce the largest family friendly Latin American festival in the United States. There is no better city to start the Locales Festival than Miami, the gateway to the Americas,” said Byron Appel, CEO of Premier Tourist and Landmark Association. “Miami is an incredibly vibrant and diverse city, and Locales Festival will celebrate and amplify the unbelievably contributions of the Latin American community here in Miami.”
As Miami’s most visited destination and the anchor of Downtown Miami, Bayside Marketplace deemed the Locales Festival as the perfect event to parallel the celebration of its 30th anniversary. Moreover, a portion of the proceeds from the festival will benefit Miami Bayside Foundation; a non-profit created by Bayside Marketplace developers and dedicated to advancing economic development in Miami through small business loans and a large array of scholarship programs with myriad academic institutions in Miami.
“Locales Festival is a platform to showcase my passion for the culinary arts and my love for the Latin American community,” said Chef James Tahhan, Locales Festival partner and host. “This festival will offer gifted students of all backgrounds the chance to showcase their talents in a day-long event that the whole community can enjoy.”
Sunday, April 2, 2017 Event Line Up
Bayside Blaster Family Cruise – (10:30AM – 5:30PM) – Families can enjoy a narrated cruise along the scenic Biscayne Bay – enjoyable for those looking to sit and relax for a 30-minute tour of the iconic harbor.
CULINARY: IT’S CRAFT TIME – (ALL DAY)
- Celebrity Cooking Competition: (2-3PM) – Talented chefs from Miami Dade College’s acclaimed Miami Culinary Institute (MCI) will compete to be named the top finalist for the ultimate cook-off in front of celebrity chefs and guests. The winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship to the MCI.
- Beer Trivia: (ALL DAY) – Attendees can try their luck at guessing the origins of various craft beers in the ultimate tasting challenge, in partnership with Professor Barry Gump of the Brew FIU Program of Florida International University. Participants are invited to taste and smell samples for a chance to win a brewery tour.
- Juice Zone: (10AM-3PM – Local juice shops will partner to create this refreshing and interactive zone where kids and adults alike can sample different combinations and prepping methods – this area will also educate families on the nutritional value of fresh juices.
- Bayside and MBF’s Finest: (ALL DAY) – Onsite Bayside Marketplace vendors such as Tradewinds Bar and Grill as well as celebrated Miami food institutions like Panther Coffee, Miami Smokers, Mundo Café, and others that have flourished from loans provided by the Miami Bayside Foundation will be present to provide free samples throughout the entire day.
ARTS + SPORTS: SOUTH FLORIDA HAS TALENT – (ALL DAY)
- Music by Locales Festival: Up and coming musicians and artists from Miami Dade and Broward counties, as selected by top Latin personalities in the music industry, will be showcase their talent on the Latinos on Fast Track (LOFT) Stage in partnership with the Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF), with the School of Rock being one of the main participants.
- Films by Locales Festival: Select high schools with outstanding film programs within Miami-Dade have been invited to produce short films to be screened at Locales for a chance to wow the crowd and film-critics alike. The top two films will be screened at the Miami Short Film Festival in November 2017.
- Visual Art Tent Displays: Fashion students from Miami International University of Art and Design will be designing brand-specific tents to showcase their visual art talents.
- Art by Locales: A showcase for select Miami-Dade art students to highlight the use of recycled materials in creating imaginative green conscious art works. MOCA North Miami, Miami Beach High School, and Art Studio Miami have been invited to submit student art pieces that reflect this theme.
- Fashion by Locales Festival: (1-2PM) – Fashion students from Miami International University of Art and Design will be showcasing their repurposed clothes donated by Century 21 Department Store at the Locales Festival fashion show. Clothes will then be donated to a non-profit of choice.
- Sports Zone by Locales Festival: Miami’s favorite sports teams including the Marlins are bringing batting cages, mini fields, and other activations for a fun filled day for the family.
LIVE MUSIC CONCERT + FIREWORKS SHOW – (4 – 9:30PM)
- Grammy nominated rapper Fat Joe and well-known Latin Grammy® nominated artists like Locos por Juana, Manu Manzo, Periko & Jessi Leon, top DJs like Mr. Pauer and DJ LOLO, and other entertainers will take over the stage at Locales Festival to perform their top hits – featuring a variety of rhythmic sounds such as Latin electronica, Caribbean, funk and hip-hop beats. Locales Festival will conclude with a 15 minute fireworks display to celebrate Bayside’s 30th Anniversary. Additional performer details will be announced closer to the festival date.
ADMISSION TO LOCALES FESTIVAL BY CHEF JAMES
General admission to Locales Festival includes access to a variety of festival activities and all live concert performances taking place between 10:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. Locales Festival VIP admission packages are also available. All packages are limited and subject to availability, benefiting the Miami Bayside Foundation.
- 12 and under FREE
- Young Adults (12-20) $25
- Adults (21+) $50
- Stage VIP (21+) $100
- Fast lane admission, concert VIP
- Biscayne Lady VIP (21+) $150
- Fast lane admission, concert VIP, meet & greet with celebrity chef
- The Biscayne Lady is a 111-foot, 360 passenger luxury yacht – complete with a sky deck for a 360-degree panoramic view
- Venetian Lady VIP (21+) $450 – Presented by Fat Joe with exclusive food by Chef Adrianne Calvo
- Fast lane admission, concert VIP, meet & greet with artists and dignitaries
- The Venetian Lady is a 130-foot, 140 passenger luxury yacht – ideal for concert and fireworks viewing,